25 February 2008

A cautionary tale for every middle-aged man: part 3

So there I was, early 40s, looking good, feeling good; I had a great job, a house... everything. I was setup to play the field at this point. Here's one dangerous example. I walked into a doctor's office to deliver a package and while talking to the receptionist, a nurse came from the back and called a patient's name. She was so disturbingly beautiful, I couldn't think except to tell her right there, "You're so beautiful" with a smile, but without saying anything else to her.

After she went to the back, I laid it on thick with the receptionist, telling her that lady was the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen, hoping she'd say something to the nurse on my behalf on the chance of talking to her someday. She did a fine job of relaying my sentiments to the nurse. When I got back to the UPS terminal, there was a note for me from the nurse! She wanted me to call her.

It was 7p by that time, so I could safely call from work (calling from home would invite guaranteed disaster between wife and kids). Even though I had flirted with her, I couldn't fathom what such a beautiful, young woman would want with me. I know what I was hoping for, but more likely it was something to do with work, perhaps she was going to take me to task, perhaps tell me I was rude or unprofessional. I called and number and damned if she didn't ask me on a date!

Another defining moment that threw a lightning rod through my consciousness.

Of course, I wanted her so badly I played along for a minute while asking myself whether I wanted to throw it all away for the hot nurse. Not just any hot nurse, a nurse that is so stunning you'd never forget the one experience with her.

But I couldn't do that to the girl. That's too much baggage to carry when starting a relationship, especially one I was suddenly cautious about now that she called my bluff. One thing is for certain: she expanded my already inflated ego to new and even more unrealistic expectations of what I could possibly get away with. My confidence soared.

But while all these not-so-innocent moments played a role in what was to come, they were like planting dynamite inside a weak mind. I didn't realize how weak at the time, but all fate would need is for some thing or someone to light the fuse.