23 February 2008

Dogs and delivery men: part 5

I was bitten only once in the fifteen years of delivery work. Both times were small poodles! The first time was in my favorite small town of Atlanta, Texas.

Delivering a package to a lady who had a poodle who barked and ran around excitedly, barked like crazy, but wasn't aggressive. Hard to be scared around a 4-lb. poodle. The lady of the house stood inside the door waiting for me to hand her the package, and I was doing everything I could to ignore the door going nuts at her feet.

As I handed her the package, I felt a quick, sharp, snake-like bit on the back of right ankle just above my shoe. I'm three feet away from her but then I jolted forward as if I'd been tazed. She must have thought I was having a seizure for a split second. I turned to look at what had bitten me and there was the poodle retreating to safe quarters behind the owner, shying away like a little kid who knew he had just done something wrong and was about to be punished for it.

Damn lady never said a word. The bite wound was superficial and barely broke the skin, so I left as if nothing had happened.