18 February 2008

Country driveways, Part 1

While I was a cover driver for UPS during the peak of Christmas season, they would created a route for me, usually a NE Texas rural route. Lucky me, I got to use a U-Haul truck again that year for the five week peak season. The far western part of Rural Bowie County Texas is nothing but dirt roads save for a few state highways. The dirt roads were bad enough, but I never understood rural folks and their dirt driveways.

Seldom would any of them put any effort into constructing a solid base for a driveway like gravel more than mere cover, which was absorbed into the mud after the first rain. I swear most just had a dirt path from the house to the road and when that path got too rough or muddy, these rural bumpkins would start a new path next to the old one! Some even had summer and winter driveways.

This particular winter, one couple living in a trailer house set back off the road about 200 yds. was mail ordering quite regularly 2-3 times a week. Being a rainy December, every time I arrived at their trailer toward the end of my route, it was always nightfall, and that's when the fun (not) would begin.