23 February 2008

Dogs and delivery men: part 8

In Naples, Texas, one German shepherd lived outside of a house where teens obviously lived, since there were basketballs, baseball bats, a volleyball net, trampoline, and skateboards around. As I pulled into the driveway, I noticed the German shepherd get up from his resting spot in the backyard and start running toward the truck. At first, the dog appeared happy to have some company since no one was home. But once I got out of the truck and started toward the front door, he became guard dog extraordinaire.

He was not going to allow me on his territory, which was anywhere near the front porch. I wasn't in the mood that day and picked up an aluminum bat and slung it straight at him, hitting him in the head; the blow knocked him down. But he backed down and was quiet the whole time I was there.

Fate must have looked kindly on me that week, because a few days later I was back at the same house. As I pulled in the driveway, the dog meekly stood up, didn't bother to bark or come near me. German shepherds are fast learners when it comes to baseball bats.