23 February 2008

Dogs and delivery men: part 7

I had the opportunity to train a few aggressive dogs over the years. The results were mixed. In the rural area of Dekalb, Texas, I pulled up to a house that had a driveway that was about 50 yards long. The owner, along with three pure white chow dogs were outside and all three came running straight toward the truck as soon as I pulled in. I drove slowly up the drive and the smallest of the three dogs was biting at the left front tire of the truck. I figured the man would run out and scream for me to stop to keep from running over the dog, but he had a casual look about him, so I kept going.

Dog owners are unpredictable that way. Some are overly sensitive while others couldn't give a damn what happens to the dog. I'm looking forward up the driveway, wondering where I'll park when all the sudden I felt a speedbump on my left front tire. The howl of an injured dog is unmistakable. I had run over the dog, and while it wasn't dead, it ran off under a brush and howled like I'd killed it.

I was more concerned over the reaction of the owner. What was I going to say when I handed him the package: "That'll teach the little sumbitch to bite my tires," or "Sorry about your retarded dog!"

I was lucky the owner was witness to the whole thing, and he was rational. I left thinking that whole scene could have gotten ugly. I made sure to tell the regular route driver what happened. A few days later the next driver ran into the dog's owner in town and yes, and damn dog had died from his injury!

Evolution works.